A repository of ideas about books, movies, martial arts, cooking, politics and living in Canada


Sunday, July 11, 2010

Random Thoughts

I'm thinking about a few things right now (while basking in the good feeling of Spain winning the World Cup), and thought 'I should blog about this!'

That doesn't mean that I've thought of anything earth shattering, I'm just trying to get in the habit of writing down what I think are interesting things, when I think of them. Case in Point:

Some people say, everything happens for a reason (my sister believes this). I do not think so.

Instead I think that everything that happens to us, on a day to day, moment to moment basis, are learning opportunities. If we pay attention to what we are doing, and what others are thinking and feeling, we have a chance to learn, to change and to grow. And when that moment of attention happens, we often feel that what just happened, must have happened for a reason -- it is our rational thinking mind trying to make sense of a flash of insight.

'Shi Kin Hara Mitsu Dai Ko Myo' is a ... pledge/creed/statement that is recited at the beginning of Bujinkan Ninpo practice. I don't speak Japanese, and so have depended on a few sources for a translation, but the one I liked the best is this: Pay Attention! This might be the Moment of Enlightenment!

What I've come to appreciate about reciting it, is that it asks me to cultivate a mind that actively participates in the world around me, by paying attention to the actions and feelings of both myself and the people around me. I have not had my moment of enlightenment yet, but I am making myself open to it.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the transcription. Learning the words leads to...learning the meaning...leads to understanding? Well, at least it will leading to learning the words.

    ReplyDelete